and Brain Sciences
Dr. Lisa Thomassen
thomasn [at] indiana.edu
office: PY A200C | (812)856-0658
Identity and Emotions, Sentiment Socialization, Deviance, Alcohol Treatment, Affect Control Theory research program
- 1996-98 - Post-doctoral researcher, Prevention Research Center, University of California - Berkeley
- 1996 - Ph.D. in Sociology, Indiana University Bloomington
- 1984 - B.S.W., IU School of Social Work, IUPUI
Awards and Honors
- CITL Summer Instructional Development Fellowship, 2011
- College of Arts and Sciences Course Development Grant, 2011
- Accepted to Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET), 2011
- Celebrity Guest Judge, Council for Leadership and IU Outdoor Pool Cardboard Boat Regatta, 2009
- Indiana University Trustees "Excellence in Teaching" Award, 2009
- Dancing with Professors, 2009
- Campus Writing Program Summer Writing-Teaching Grant, 2007
- Very Influential Professor, Women's Basketball Guest Coach, 2007
- Student Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty Nominee, 2006, 2009
- P101 - Introductory Psychology I
- P102 - Introductory Psychology II
- P155 - Introductory Psychology for Majors
- P299 - Sophomore Honors Seminar
- P324 - Abnormal Psychology
- S105 - Intensive Freshman Seminar: Psychology of College Life
Areas of InterestResearch Area: Social Psychology
- Sentiment Socialization and Deviance
- Alcohol Treatment
- Affect Control Theory research program
Lisa Thomassen. "An Alcoholic is Good and Sober: Sentiment Change in AA". Deviant Behavior: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 23: 177-200, 2002.
Lisa Thomassen. "AA Utilization After Introduction In Outpatient Treatment". Substance Use and Misuse 37 (2), 239-253, 2002.
Lisa Thomas. "AA Exposure and Sentiment Convergence". Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Vol. 21, No. 3 (May,1997): 130A.
Lisa Thomas (with David R. Heise). "Mining the Error Variance and Hitting Paydirt: Discovering Systematic Variation in Social Sentiments". Sociological Quarterly, Vol. 36, No.2 (1995): 901-914.
Lisa Thomas (with David R. Heise). "Predicting Impressions Created by Combinations of Emotions and Social Identity". Social Psychology Quarterly, Vol. 52, No.2 (1989) : 141-148.