FAQs about the application process
- What happens after I submit my application?
Once you submit the electronic IU application you will receive an email confirmation. Within the IU application you will complete a "Department Questions" section. Complete applications that arrive by the December 1 deadline will be reviewed by the appropriate faculty as well as the department's Graduate Admissions Committee.
- How can I check the status of my application and/or recommendation letters?
You may log back into the IU application system. The system will indicate "submitted" as your status if the application has been received successfully. The status of electronic recommendation letters will also be reflected. The status does not indicate the admission decision.
- When will I learn the outcome of my application?
Admission decisions are typically sent mid-February through March. The department staff cannot release admission decisions over the phone. They will not release admission decisions via email until after the official notifications are sent.
- Do you accept the IELTS in place of the TOEFL?
Yes. If you take the IELTS you need to receive a minimum score of 6.5.
- English is not my native language, but I completed my undergraduate degree in the U.S. Do I still have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
No. Our admissions committee will automatically note the undergraduate degree during the review process.
- I want to apply to Psychology and Neuroscience or Psychology and Cognitive Science. What do I have to do?
Review the information in "Applying to more than one department" on our How to Apply page. Once you complete and submit an application to the first department, you can copy that application and change the department to reflect the department chosen for the second application.
When you are completing the second application, be certain to check YES to the question "Have you previously paid a GRADUATE application fee to IU Bloomington?" Because Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, and Psychology are all in the College of Arts and Sciences, you will only be charged one application fee. You do not need to send additional transcripts, test scores, and/or letters of recommendation. Psychology, Cognitive Science, and Neuroscience will share these materials.