FAQs about the application process
- What happens after I submit my application?
Once you submit the electronic IU application you will receive an email confirmation. Within the IU application you will complete a "Department Questions" section. Complete applications that arrive by the December 1 deadline will be reviewed by the appropriate faculty as well as the department's Graduate Admissions Committee.
- How can I check the status of my application and/or recommendation letters?
You may log back into the IU application system. The system will indicate "submitted" as your status if the application has been received successfully. The status of electronic recommendation letters will also be reflected. The status does not indicate the admission decision.
- When will I learn the outcome of my application?
Admission decisions are typically sent mid-February through March. The department staff cannot release admission decisions over the phone. They will not release admission decisions via email until after the official notifications are sent.
- Do you accept the IELTS in place of the TOEFL?
Yes. If you take the IELTS you need to receive a minimum score of 6.5.
- English is not my native language, but I completed my undergraduate degree in the U.S. Do I still have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
No. Our admissions committee will automatically note the undergraduate degree during the review process.
- Applying to dual programs with Cognitive Science or Neuroscience?
Let us know on our application; we will coordinate sharing your transcripts with that department. Also, you only have to pay the application fee once. To get a coupon code to waive the fee, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, IU CAS ID, program(s) to which you are applying, and state that you are applying to a dual program.